Friday, February 13, 2009

American Idiot pt deux???


I love Green Day. As someone from the East Bay in Nor*Cal, I have always had an affinity for the band. Maybe not so much during the American Idiot super explosion of Green Day love, the time when their stadium shows were packed with 14 year olds who probably figured they were a new band. I also didn't really care for how Billie Joe, Tre and Mike wore those black dress shirts and red ties and looked like the Killers. Regardless, they're awesome.

That said, this new album title is.....lame. It's going to be called '21st Century Breakdown'. Personally, I hate album titles involving the word 'breakdown'...it's just so played out. And the album cover looks like they drew it after staring at the My Chemical Romance CD 'Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge' and then tried to copy it off of memory.

The snobs at Pitchfork have said that this album will have sixteen tracks 'spread over three 'acts': Heroes and Cons, Charlatans and Saints, and Horseshoes and Handgrenades. This probably means Green Day will once again reclaim their role as biggest band in the world, and do a massive world tour for 2 years like they did back in 2004 for 'American Idiot'.

What happened to the easy, 3 chord pop punk songs? Why must they continue to be seriou sand 'legitimate'? I just want more songs like 'The Grouch' and less songs like 'We are the Waiting'. Hopefully this new album is more old-school and less political (PLEASE). We'll see I guess.

Regardless, I'm sure I'll like the album, but this new info is somewhat unsettling......

No comments: