Thursday, November 13, 2008

60-Watt Kid




I saw 60-Watt Kid play on Sunday night at the Smell. Recommended for anyone into Animal Collective, Brian Eno and quirky stage antics.

Over the past 5 years or so, I've had the pleasure of watching 60-Watt Kid morph and evolve from Kevin Litrow's folky acoustic solo project into spacey trio that they are today, belting out frenzied progressive soundscapes with synthesizers, guitars doused in effects all melding with fast and splashy drums and a stage presence that is uh… surreal to say the least. Its no surprise that Litrow knows how to move. Afterall, he used to play in an electroclash band called Dance Disaster Movement.

With the vocals drenched in echo effects, I couldn't understand a word these guys were singing at the show, but with apocalyptic seeming titles like 2012 Breakdown and Ocsicnarfnas, (thats San Francisco spelled backwards), I wouldn't be surprised if they were speaking in tongues.

myspace.com/60wattkid
myspace.com/dancedisastermovement


ONE LAST THING!! The Flaming Lips “Christmas On Mars” DVD is available. And yeah, I got the $50 mega deluxe whatever package. I can’t wait. I think we’re gonna have a party at my house and project it soon. I’ll let you know if we do.


-dustin

No comments: