Wednesday, September 16, 2009

It's hard to be "creative" anymore....

So much has been made of artists "borrowing" from artists lately...just look at the Coldplay/Joe Satriani war that has been raging for a few months....where Coldplay supposedly (and probably did) borrow elements of one of Satriani's songs for "Viva la Vida". Well, I discovered one of my own late last night while perusing YouTube like I always do at night. Observe Mika's music video for his new flamboyant/colorful/infectious single "We Are Golden" (note that the "embedded disabled by request" warlords on YouTube blocked embedding of the highest-quality versions of the video, so this will have to do)



Hmm...does ANY aspect of this song sound the slightest bit familiar??? no??? how about NOW???:



OMG OMG OMG OMG Mika STOLE from ANNIE LENNOX!!!!

ok so maybe it's not theft, maybe it's one of those "huh? oh it is kinda similar now that you mention it...." kinda things.....but the first time I heard "We Are Golden" I thought it sounded strangely familiar....I didn't even know Annie Lennox sang this song, but I knew it WAS a song....mystery solved.

Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks these songs are "similar"....check out this blog.

I don't know if this will cause quite the same level of firestorm as the Coldplay shenanigans, but we'll have to see. it's still funny to see, and I'm curious if Mika has any idea this was going on. There aren't any sample references to the Annie Lennox song anywhere, so this might be a case of "Oh, I had NO IDEA they were so similar...."

No comments: