Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Don't Criticize your heroes on Twitter....

Found this on NME.com...pretty funny read....

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=123&title=when_rock_stars_twitter_back&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

There’s nothing quite like being Tweeted at by a famous musician. I found this out on Sunday night, when Mike Skinner took umbrage to a comment I made on the site, and personally twittered back. It made me sit bolt upright on the sofa, blinking at my iPhone in disbelief.

You see, Skinner had just played to a packed Wireless Festival, having rocked Glastonbury the week before, and put the finishing touches on a fifth studio album. I, a mere civilian, had just finished the washing up. This was when I started to follow his comments:

“I've seen the figures. Fragrances make shit loads of money. That's why the stars all have one… it's just water that smells.”

Quickly this was followed by, “Tom Ford, Aqua Di Parma, Dior Domme, Cartier ALL TOP FRAGRANCES.”

continued...

Not really thinking, I had a pop back, accusing the rapper of backtracking, and suggesting that Mike would, “DIE for their money”. I’d never really thought that by including “@skinnermike,” my words would appear on his laptop. And I’d never dream that he’d bother to reply. But he did.

And this got me thinking, what other rock stars and musicians will respond to a message from a fan? I then sent all kinds of Tweets to all kinds of musical dignitaries (and Razorlight ), hoping for a response.

I tried asking a question: @liamgallagher - "I'm thinking about buying your parka. Thing is, will I look like everyone else in North London? How many are you flogging sir?" (No reply).

I tried weirdness: @lilyroseallen - "Have you seen Michael Jackson's ghost yet? Who would you haunt if you came back from the afterlife?” (Nothing).

I even tried politics: @pixiesongs - "Pixie Lott, did you vote in the recent election? If so, who does Pixie support? I bet Green party..." (Not a dickie bird).

So why did Skinner reply? At Wireless I couldn’t even get to see The Streets: I fought my way through the crowds to find the arena overcrowded by ravers and a giant electronic screen reading, “Second Stage FULL.” Yet somehow, thanks to Twitter, I was able talk to my hero directly. And piss him off.

All 46,911 of his fans read his reply to me. A couple of hundred started following me for some reason. One Twittered that I was, and I quote, “a puss filled case of gentle [sic] herpes come to life.”

“It's difficult to understand the idea that success can be about what you say no to,” said Skinner, ever the soothsaying poet. “And that goes for all creative decisions.”

I agree: next time you decide to criticise your heroes, don’t do it on Twitter.

No comments: