Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Band You Should Be Listening To - Kasabian




I have always liked this band, but it seems that they have mostly flown under the radar here in the US. Back in their native England, the band is very successful, but I haven't really heard much of a fuss about them here. Their self-titled 2004 debut album was quite impressive, and the song 'Club Foot' was how I (and many other people) became aware of Kasabian.



Their debut album also included "LSF (Lost Souls Forever)" and "Reason is Treason". The band's songs are quirky and fresh, and vocalist Sergio Pizzorno has a unique voice that works very well with the music.

Their second album, 'Empire', came out in 2006, and it wasn't as good as their first one, in my opinion. One of the band's main songwriters left the band during the recording of 'Empire', so maybe that's why it falls a bit flat. Still, it had some cool tunes.

Well, Kasabian's new album "West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum" comes out next week, but I've already heard it thanks to the powers of the Internet. I'll be buying it next week for sure, as it is REALLY GOOD. They recovered from the letdown (in my opinion) of 'Empire' and the new disc is a great return to form. Check out the video for the album's first single 'Fire':



'Vlad the Impaler' also had a video that was released a few weeks ago...it's pretty intense.


I really like Kasabian because to me they seem very original and fresh. There have been countless British bands over the past five years or so that have weird dance-y elements and erratic beats and rhythms (Klaxons, any British band at Coachella, etc), but Kasabian does it best. I really want to see them in concert again, as I've only seen them opening for Oasis five years ago.

If you haven't listened to them yet, do so now. It's worth it.

No comments: